Saturday, May 10, 2008

Nurture The Habit of Investing


Remember the day when we were given our first piggy bank and the joy we had putting our first coin/bill into it? Somehow when we grow up, we seem to forget the joy of savings and instead commit easily to debts:

"I have to own this phone even by using my future credit"
"I can afford this dream car by extending the loan tenure to 9 years"
"I don't mind bearing my housing loan for 30 years"
"I have no problem financing my luxury lifestyle with my credit cards"

Don't they sound familiar?

But when it comes to savings and investing, here we are:

"I earn too little to save"
"I will only start investing when my salary hits RM xxx"
"I have no money"
"I will start next year" (and of course "next year" again when next year came)

Investing is like any other habit - it is easy to start but difficult to follow through; it needs discipline and consistency.

You don't have to start with a lot in your first investment; in unit trust, you may just start with minimum initial investment of RM1000 and regular savings of RM 100! To maintain the consistency, it is recommended to set aside 10% of you monthly income for regular saving. From each paycheck, immediately transfer 10% of your earnings over to your auto-debit investment account.

As your income grows, you can always review your investment plan and adjust according to your objective.

So stop giving excuses and start your investment now!!

5 comments:

Jean Chai said...

Hi Jason,

First time come to your blog.

Which coy are you from? I am from P. Mutual.

Welcome to investing with me..:) said...

Hi Jean,

Welcome to my blog..)

I'm from Public Mutual too....

Jean Chai said...

ic

So, how is your biz? I find wordpress is easier to use as a blog..at least I don't have to sign up just to leave a message

Welcome to investing with me..:) said...

Biz is good...

Thanks for informing me about Wordpress; I have just downloaded it and will explore how to make use of it.

You have any blog site?

I have to admit it is very tedious to punch in username and password every time I want add a comment..:P

Jean Chai said...

yes. jeanchai.wordpress,com.

I am upgrading it now..for a better version